Skip to main content

Mac Pro Class: Highlighting and Contouring Recap



Hey Dolls,

I had the opportunity to take a Mac Pro Class this year! There were two in my area this year, I took the highlighting and contouring class at the Pentagon City Mac store in Arlington, VA; a few weeks ago.

FYI, the classes are cheaper now; this one was $25 for two hours and non redeemable in product. The price used to be $100 and fully redeemable in product.

The class was taught by Mac Senior Artist, Regan Rabanal. He taught us his tips and tricks and he did two demos on two women with different skin types and complexions to show how he uses a variety of techniques and products based on the client's needs.




Here are a few tips that I learned:

1. One contouring technique doesn't fit all. Consider the face shape and texture of skin. Someone who already has a slim, narrow face will not need as much contouring as someone who has a round face. It also helps to observe the skin to see where the natural highlight and contours are already forming. On some clients, you can already see the darkness on their jawline where the natural contour is already
formed.

Regan used all cream colored bases to highlight and contour on this model.


2. Highlighting and contouring doesn't have to be a full on beat. Regan brought out in the class that you really want to see the effects of highlighting and contouring. On the other hand, there are some who like the full on beat and others don't; whatever you like or feel comfortable with it...do what suits you!

You can see a subtle contour that he used on her cheeks.

3. A lot of people experience grayness when contouring on darker complexions; to combat this, use warmer colors like reds, yellows and oranges. In the demo, Regan used a touch of warmer colored correctors and mixed it with concealer to add warmth and to combat any grayness.


Regan used concealer and correctors to highlight and contour on this model. 




4. Don't be afraid to use a variety of products to contour and highlight. In the class, he used the Mac creme colored bases (never thought of using those to highlight and contour), powders, foundations, concealer and correctors. He mentioned that the Mac Studio Conceal and Correct kit is great for contouring and highlighting. The kit features four concealers and two color correctors to conceal and correct the skin. He used the orange corrector,on the model above to highlight her skin.


My Haul

Since I did a big haul last month, I really didn't want to get a lot or anything but I couldn't just walk out of a Mac store without buying something! I don't have that much self control...yet.

1.I picked up the full sized Studio Moisture cream moisturizer. I have the trial size version of it and I really liked it, it's one of the few moisturizers that my skin doesn't drink up instantly.

2, I bought Flat Out Fabulous lipstick (bright-plum matte).

3. I bought  Love Nectar lustreglass, which is an old faithful gloss that looks great alone and adds an extra oomph to any lipstick.
.
Left to Right: Studio Moisture Cream moisturizer, Flat Out Fabulous l/s and Love Nectar lustreglass



Left to Right: Love Nectar lustreglass and Flat Out Fabulous l/s

Overall, I enjoyed the class. It really reinforced the old adage, "less is more." I see so many pictures on social media with the  obvious, heavy, sculpted faces (nothing is wrong with it) but it helped me to appreciate that all of that is really not needed for the every day woman like myself. Also, I learned to further enhance my technique by using a variety of products to highlight and contour.

Comments

Agent Elle said…
Love Nectar is one of my favorites too. I wish I could have gone to the class w/you! Looks like you learned some good stuff. Did he use any of the Prep & Prime highlighters?
G Jones said…
You turned me on to Love Nectar, I remember you talking about it a lot.

Yes, wish we could have went together. That's the first class we didn't take together.

No, he didn't use any of the highlighters....that's not to say that he doesn't use them at all. He said he uses just about everything, it just depends on the person he's doing.
Agent Elle said…
I ended up returnin the Prep and Prime. I just couldn't get it to look good.
G Jones said…
Which Prep and Prime?

Popular posts from this blog

How I Refurbished my Louis Vuitton Speedy...

I bought an authentic preloved Louis Vuitton Damier Speedy bag a few months back. While I was so excited to finally get the bag and wear it, I realized (at that time of buying and when I received it) that the bag had some wear on it that could use some fixing up. After searching online, I found a blogger,  Lollipuff , who posted an article on how to refurbish LV bags. Based on the recommendations in the post, I used the following products: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Blue Magic Metal Polish cream (tube) and Cadillac Boot and Shine leather conditioner. I also used laundry detergent and baby wipes. All of the products used can be used on any bag to spruce it up. Read on for the deets, to see how you can spruce up your handbag! Before At first glance, the bag had some sheen on the exterior. Most of the brass fixtures had green tarnishing (which happens with aging of brass). The leather handles were dull. The bag had lost some of its shape. The inside was the kicker! The red interi

Mac Face and Body Foundation Review

One of my most used foundations is the Mac Face and Body liquid foundation. I've been promising a  review on it, so here it is. Product Claims "A water-based, water-resistant foundation that provides long-lasting, natural coverage for face and/or body. Ideal for all skin types. Face and Body Foundation provides sheer, natural looking coverage in an easy to blend, water-resistant formula. The long-lasting formula is available in a wide range of colours and contains several emollients to help moisturize and condition the skin. It delivers professional looking results that meet the exacting standards of beauty photography and is ideal for perfecting the face and body." Pros -Price is $32.50 retail and about $19 if you're a Mac pro card member (That could be a con based on your finances). -For the price you pay it gives you a lot of foundation. It's in a 4 fl oz bottle. -Because it's water based it doesn't feel heavy, it feels very light on the face.

Creme of Nature Lemongrass and Rosemary Leave-In Conditioner Review

After promising myself to take better care of my hair, I read in a hair care magazine that if you have breakage or dry hair (like my hair) to consider purchasing a leave-in conditioner, since you don't have to rinse it out-the conditioner keeps on working and conditioning your hair. This was perfect for me because I'm really lazy when it comes to styling and taking care of my own hair... usually I look for products that are easy and quick to use. I do use Creme of Nature's Detangling shampoo, so I figured I would buy their leave-in conditioner. FYI- Creme of Nature is a brand that specializes in hair care products for women of color, who have natural or relaxed hair. They mostly use natural ingredients in their products, which they call "Certified Organic." Product Claims "Pamper your hair with this creme-based formula to soften, detangle, and provide the ultimate conditioning.  Perfect for color treated hair, organic  Lemongrass works to tone and hig