Skip to main content

How I Refurbished my Louis Vuitton Speedy...


I bought an authentic preloved Louis Vuitton Damier Speedy bag a few months back. While I was so excited to finally get the bag and wear it, I realized (at that time of buying and when I received it) that the bag had some wear on it that could use some fixing up. After searching online, I found a blogger, Lollipuff, who posted an article on how to refurbish LV bags.

Based on the recommendations in the post, I used the following products: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Blue Magic Metal Polish cream (tube) and Cadillac Boot and Shine leather conditioner. I also used laundry detergent and baby wipes. All of the products used can be used on any bag to spruce it up. Read on for the deets, to see how you can spruce up your handbag!



Before


At first glance, the bag had some sheen on the exterior. Most of the brass fixtures had green tarnishing (which happens with aging of brass). The leather handles were dull. The bag had lost some of its shape. The inside was the kicker! The red interior was terribly stained. It was a combination of hair, dirt, dust and dried up candy.


Yuck!

The brass had lost its luster.

You can see some of the green tarnish around the ring



The Process

I added water to the Mr. Clean Magic eraser and wiped down the entire bag, inside and out. I used a microfiber cloth along with the Blue Magic Metal polish cream and polished the brass fixtures, which made the green tarnish disappear and it polished the fixtures to a brand new shine! The last thing I did to the exterior- was apply the Cadillac Boot and Shine leather cleaner to the canvas and the leather handles.


Dirt from the bag on the Mr. Clean Magic eraser

I have used other leather cleaners before but the Cadillac Boot and Shine leather cleaner is the best that I've used. It can be applied to a variety of materials like canvas, exotic skins, vinyls and patents in addition to leather. It cleans and conditions while retarding water spotting and cracking. It also gives a nice luster, I applied two coats of it to the bag and let it sit overnight. 

After the bag had been wiped with magic eraser

Sidenote: I also found out that Cadillac Boot and Shine leather conditioner is great for lightening vachetta leather that has patina (darkened) over time. 


Applying the Cadillac Leather cleaner...

Now for the inside! I used baby wipes to wipe down all of the dirt and hair that I could from the inside. I also used a small butter knife to scrape off as much of the dried candy as I could without cutting through the interior...this is when I found out how sturdy LV bags are-because the interior didn't buckle, budge or crack under the scraping.


This is one of many wipes I used to clean the interior...

I used laundry detergent (which gave the inside a nice smell) and applied it to the wipes to rub off the remaining dirt and to remove the dried candy stain, I used several wipes to do this. Once I removed the stain, I also took a bit of alcohol and applied it to the lining of the bag to disinfect it. 


Making some progress!


The Results

The end result is that I was able to completely remove the hair, dirt and candy stain. I was also able to remove some of the black stains. There are a few ink stains that remain that I can live with. 


All of the hair and dirt have been removed and the candy stain is completely gone...

The zipper no longer looks dull but polished and more gold in color...

No more green tarnishing around the ring...


The extras

The Speedy bags originally come with a lock and two keys. The bag I bought didn't come with one from the original owner. I was able to purchase an authentic LV lock and key set at a good price. Of course, it was used and had aged, so I polished it up with the Blue Magic Metal cream.


Before: The lock is dull and tarnished...



All of the dirt from polishing...

After: The lock is polished, brighter in color and it looks new!


After 

The bag has a beautiful luster thanks to the leather cleaner. The brass fixtures have no tarnishing and a new shine to them. The inside looks 10x better than before now that it's much cleaner, and the bag's shape has been restored thanks to stuffing it with wrapping paper.





The lock looks brand new and the canvas has a beautiful finish...

The bag was stuffed with wrapping paper to restore its shape...

The finished look!


I'm really proud and amazed at the end result. I have spruced up several preloved handbags before and this is (by far) my favorite refurbished project :-)

Comments

Unknown said…
I like the idea of wrapping paper to keep the shape. I have most of my bags stored in their dust bags on a shelf. I've been carrying the Prada I got for Xmas non stop... wondering when the newness will wear off!
G Jones said…
Yes, the wrapping paper works nicely. Ooh Prada! They have such beautiful bags.
celana hernia said…
I like the idea of wrapping paper to keep the shape
G Jones said…
@Celana: Thank you, I think I got the idea from Purse Blog :-)
Unknown said…
So what did u do about the (CRACKING)IM TRYING to buy the same bag but a 35 an it cracked all way to the red how can i fix it or will it Keep cracking?? What do u suggest? Did yours keep cracking?
Unknown said…
What did u do about the cracking?did they spard?
Unknown said…
So what did u do about the (CRACKING)IM TRYING to buy the same bag but a 35 an it cracked all way to the red how can i fix it or will it Keep cracking?? What do u suggest? Did yours keep cracking?
G Jones said…
Hello! I did research about the cracking and unfortunately nothing can be done about it. Some suggest taking it to a LV boutique for repair, but repairs can cost the same price of the bag if you're buying a preloved bag; and some LV boutiques don't repair cracking for fear that it will crack more. I've had mine for a year now and it hasn't cracked any further.

I would suggest buying one with minimal or no cracking. Also, some have suggested glue (super glue? maybe) as an idea to hold the cracking together.

I hope this helps.

Popular posts from this blog

Mac Face and Body Foundation Review

One of my most used foundations is the Mac Face and Body liquid foundation. I've been promising a  review on it, so here it is. Product Claims "A water-based, water-resistant foundation that provides long-lasting, natural coverage for face and/or body. Ideal for all skin types. Face and Body Foundation provides sheer, natural looking coverage in an easy to blend, water-resistant formula. The long-lasting formula is available in a wide range of colours and contains several emollients to help moisturize and condition the skin. It delivers professional looking results that meet the exacting standards of beauty photography and is ideal for perfecting the face and body." Pros -Price is $32.50 retail and about $19 if you're a Mac pro card member (That could be a con based on your finances). -For the price you pay it gives you a lot of foundation. It's in a 4 fl oz bottle. -Because it's water based it doesn't feel heavy, it feels very light on the face.

Creme of Nature Lemongrass and Rosemary Leave-In Conditioner Review

After promising myself to take better care of my hair, I read in a hair care magazine that if you have breakage or dry hair (like my hair) to consider purchasing a leave-in conditioner, since you don't have to rinse it out-the conditioner keeps on working and conditioning your hair. This was perfect for me because I'm really lazy when it comes to styling and taking care of my own hair... usually I look for products that are easy and quick to use. I do use Creme of Nature's Detangling shampoo, so I figured I would buy their leave-in conditioner. FYI- Creme of Nature is a brand that specializes in hair care products for women of color, who have natural or relaxed hair. They mostly use natural ingredients in their products, which they call "Certified Organic." Product Claims "Pamper your hair with this creme-based formula to soften, detangle, and provide the ultimate conditioning.  Perfect for color treated hair, organic  Lemongrass works to tone and hig