Skip to main content

The Makeup Show NYC 2018!


Hello, Dolls
I hope you all are doing good. I've been doing well, just MIA. What's been going on with me? Just dealing with life's twists and turns, and trying to stay sane :-).

I got the chance to go to The Makeup Show last month! I haven't been in 4 years; so, I was so excited to attend again! I couldn't wait to listen to the seminars, and buy some products that I had been holding off on getting.





Pat McGrath station

Cover Girl station
I learned...

Since I rode the bus up, it didn't allow a lot of time to take a lot of seminars. I managed to take two. First, I took How to Achieve Gleaming Skin by Melanie Mills. The second workshop that I took was The Insta-Bride: What a Girl Wants by Megan Gramers. I'll share two new ideas that I learned.

1. I learned that a small amount of  Gleam Body Radiance can be applied to foundation for glowing skin and a natural looking highlight. She also suggests using Gleam to upsell to brides and bridal parties who want an extra glow. I've also seen Gleam used for photoshoots on client's legs and arms, (which I plan to start doing) it looks amazing in photography, especially on women on color

2. I learned from The Insta-Bride is to have a professional Pinterest page for clients. Megan suggested that the professional Pinterest page should contain posts of various makeup looks- (in a variety of shades and ethnicities) so that your client can select a look that they want done for their wedding; and they'll have a better idea of what it will look like on them. She suggested that you pin at least (5) pics a day, and the pics should contain colors of every eye shade, lip shade, smokey eye, neutral eye, etc.

Ms. Hollywood Gleam, Melanie Mills!
I experienced...

One of the highlights of the Makeup show was the glitter lips modeled by everyone at the Glamorous Chick cosmetics booth! I saw several attendees with glitter lips in various shades and colors, my friend and I decided to stop by their booth to try it out!


The process is very simple! The artist first applied the base, which is their matte liquid lips. The color she used on me is called Tame. It's a nude-pink color. Next, she applied the glitter. The color she used was their Rose Gold glitter. The liquid lip instantly dried, and it locked in the glitter instantly.


When I tell you that the glitter and the liquid lips stayed put, it stayed put! After the Show, my friend and I went out to eat and for drinks. It lasted through all of our eating and drinking! I got home close to midnight that night, and the lips were still on, glitter and all!



My friend's glitter lips

After the Show, we hit up Sagaponack Bar & Grill. I had never been there before, but we were in for a treat! We just arrived when Happy Hour started. I got the lobster soup, shrimp dumplings, fried lobster ravioli, and the Sagarita drink. Everything was tasty and filling! If I visit that part of NYC again, I would definitely eat there again. 


Lobster Bisque soup

Shrimp Dumplings and Lobster Ravioli

Sagarita




I bought...

1. Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentre' 1 oz: I bought this for myself and for my kit. It's a dual moisturizer and primer in one. It hydrates and locks in moisture for 24 hours! It's good for all skin types. This is a must-have for me, I usually order it from Nigel's Beauty Emporium, I decided to wait to get it at the show.

2. Zuca Utility Pouches (2): I have a Zuca back pack that I use for my professional makeup kit. The back pack comes with two pouches. I bought two more pouches because the Zuca pouches are more compact than the other pouches that I've been using; this way I can free up more space in my kit.

3. Bdellium Tools Brushes: Every show, I buy more Bdellium Tools brushes. They are high quality, don't shed, inexpensive, and durable. I bought the 785 tapered blending eye brushes. The tapered blending brushes are good for applying a light wash of color to the eyes, blending out eye eyeshadow, and I really love them to apply and blend out concealer directly under the eye and to contour my nose.

4. Melanie Mills Hollywood Gleam Body Radiance 3.4 fl oz: This purchase was unplanned, my friend wanted to stop by their booth, so we did. I have received several mini gleam tubes in goody bags from makeup classes that I attended, so, I was not looking to buy anything...until I met Melanie Mills at the booth! She chatted with us, suggested which gleam shades would look good on us, and demoed Gleam for us. I couldn't resist buying after that! I bought the full-size rose gold shade. It looked amazing on my skin! I can't wait to use it on my arms and legs when this Maryland rain finally ends.

5. Mario Badescu Facial spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater 8 fl oz: I bought a sample size of this from Ulta, it was too small to really tell if it worked. So, I bought the larger size at the show. I heard it's supposed to aid in clearing and treating acne. We'll see.

6. Kiss Lash Couture lashes: I didn't plan on buying any lashes, but, Kiss was giving away these cute tote bags with purchase, (which I needed to carry all of my stuff) so I bought two of their Corset lashes from the Triple Push-Up collection.

7. NYX Cosmetics Glitter Primer: I needed a glitter adhesive for all of the glitter pots that I have  never used. After the glitter lips demo by Glamorous Chicks, I became glitter crazy! My plan is to step out of my comfort zone and create some glitter eye looks.

8. Alcone: I needed to replenish some disposables for my kit. I bought some sponges, mascara wands and lip wands.

9. Glamorous Chicks Cosmetics: After the glitter lips demo, I couldn't resist getting their glitter lips set. I bought the set that I'm wearing in the demo pics, the Tame matte liquid lipstick and the rose gold glitter.

Freebies
Vendors at The Makeup Show often give out new and upcoming products to sample before they are released. Cover Girl cosmetics was at the show, and if you have been watching You Tube recently, you've probably noticed that Cover Girl has been sending out huge PR packages of some of their newest products for beauty influencers to test and review. I was able to receive a few of those products at the show. I received the:
-Easy Breezy Brow Micro-Fine Define pencil in Honey Brown 
-Melting Poute Matte lipstick in Current Nude
-Katy Kat Gloss in cateloupe

To never miss a post, be sure to subscribe by email. Hit the subscribe button at the top right!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Refurbished my Louis Vuitton Speedy...

I bought an authentic preloved Louis Vuitton Damier Speedy bag a few months back. While I was so excited to finally get the bag and wear it, I realized (at that time of buying and when I received it) that the bag had some wear on it that could use some fixing up. After searching online, I found a blogger,  Lollipuff , who posted an article on how to refurbish LV bags. Based on the recommendations in the post, I used the following products: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Blue Magic Metal Polish cream (tube) and Cadillac Boot and Shine leather conditioner. I also used laundry detergent and baby wipes. All of the products used can be used on any bag to spruce it up. Read on for the deets, to see how you can spruce up your handbag! Before At first glance, the bag had some sheen on the exterior. Most of the brass fixtures had green tarnishing (which happens with aging of brass). The leather handles were dull. The bag had lost some of its shape. The inside was the kicker! The red interi

Mac Face and Body Foundation Review

One of my most used foundations is the Mac Face and Body liquid foundation. I've been promising a  review on it, so here it is. Product Claims "A water-based, water-resistant foundation that provides long-lasting, natural coverage for face and/or body. Ideal for all skin types. Face and Body Foundation provides sheer, natural looking coverage in an easy to blend, water-resistant formula. The long-lasting formula is available in a wide range of colours and contains several emollients to help moisturize and condition the skin. It delivers professional looking results that meet the exacting standards of beauty photography and is ideal for perfecting the face and body." Pros -Price is $32.50 retail and about $19 if you're a Mac pro card member (That could be a con based on your finances). -For the price you pay it gives you a lot of foundation. It's in a 4 fl oz bottle. -Because it's water based it doesn't feel heavy, it feels very light on the face.

Creme of Nature Lemongrass and Rosemary Leave-In Conditioner Review

After promising myself to take better care of my hair, I read in a hair care magazine that if you have breakage or dry hair (like my hair) to consider purchasing a leave-in conditioner, since you don't have to rinse it out-the conditioner keeps on working and conditioning your hair. This was perfect for me because I'm really lazy when it comes to styling and taking care of my own hair... usually I look for products that are easy and quick to use. I do use Creme of Nature's Detangling shampoo, so I figured I would buy their leave-in conditioner. FYI- Creme of Nature is a brand that specializes in hair care products for women of color, who have natural or relaxed hair. They mostly use natural ingredients in their products, which they call "Certified Organic." Product Claims "Pamper your hair with this creme-based formula to soften, detangle, and provide the ultimate conditioning.  Perfect for color treated hair, organic  Lemongrass works to tone and hig