Skip to main content

Crown Adjusted 👑 . . . How to Remind Yourself of your Dopeness! (Long)

 



Crown Adjusted... my sister and I say this to each other when one of us temporarily forgets who we are, and what we can accomplish. No matter how confident you are, you will have moments of feeling insecure, inadequate, or even unworthy. Guess what? It's normal. It doesn't mean you're any less confident. Sometimes it hits you out of nowhere, and other times you'll know what triggered the emotion. 

I've struggled with wallowing in these negative emotions. Recently, I've made a more consistent effort to change that. I refuse to let my mind (something I can control) get the best of me. It's work, it's not easy. I'll admit that sometimes it feels easier to sit in the negativity. 

I had a serious episode of negative feelings that hit me a few weeks ago, I knew I had to pull myself out of it. Here’s what helped:

~Talk to someone: Talking to someone allows you to vent, and it gives you clarity. I’m not vulnerable with my feelings at all. For some reason, I decided to admit to a friend how I was feeling. It felt like a therapy session lol. She really listened, she didn't judge, and then she sincerely reminded me of my strengths, and why I shouldn’t be worried. Depending on who you confide in and the nature of your relationship, this person may affirm you or remind you of your capabilities and how dope you really are. If nothing else, they are a listening ear. 

~Journal: Seeing your feelings on paper puts things in perspective. Sometimes when you see what's ailing you written down, you may see that's what concerning you is more of a perception than a reality. You may realize that what's concerning you, may be something trivial, and not worth the negative feelings you're experiencing. The week of this negative episode, I happened to be participating in a September Self Love journaling challenge, reflecting on the journal prompts and writing about the things I love about myself really boosted my mental well-being. Tip: Pinterest has great journal prompts on self love.

~Remind yourself who you are: I looked through my phone gallery at some of my past highlights in life and previous accomplishments, and it reminded me of my strengths and talents. It wasn't so much what I accomplished that made me proud, I was mostly proud of the qualities and strengths that helped me pursue and get through those experiences. Also, make a list of your positive traits, the things that you like about yourself, and what you're good at. This will immediately shift your thoughts from the negative feelings to the positive thoughts. This will also remind yourself all of the things that make you unique and dope. Save this list, (in your phone or journal) and refer back to it the next time you feel discouraged.                                                                                                                                                  
~Love on you: It's very important to treat yourself exceptionally well when you have moments of insecurities. It's nothing worse than feeling negative emotions and then neglecting yourself at the same time. Love on yourself (extra hard) when you have episodes of negative feelings. Indulge in self care when you feel discouraged. What you decide to do is up to you, but please make sure that whatever you do, you feel better about yourself afterwards. The last time I had an episode like this, it went on for several days. I was at home, and my brain just kept dwelling on the negative. I couldn't take it, I had to get outside. I went and got a pedicure. A pedicure is a monthly thing for me, but this time it felt extra special. Afterwards, I went out and treated myself to my favorite pizza spot. I felt much better afterwards, and it got my mind off of the negativity.                                                                                                                                                                                                 
If you experience negative or insecure feelings from time to time, please don't be discouraged. I'm learning that it's a part of life. The important thing is that we build ourselves up, and take action as soon as the feeling lingers. Remember, we are more capable, dope and truly worthy more than what we think we are. So, adjust that crown, Queen! 


                                                                                                                                                                 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Refurbished my Louis Vuitton Speedy...

I bought an authentic preloved Louis Vuitton Damier Speedy bag a few months back. While I was so excited to finally get the bag and wear it, I realized (at that time of buying and when I received it) that the bag had some wear on it that could use some fixing up. After searching online, I found a blogger,  Lollipuff , who posted an article on how to refurbish LV bags. Based on the recommendations in the post, I used the following products: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Blue Magic Metal Polish cream (tube) and Cadillac Boot and Shine leather conditioner. I also used laundry detergent and baby wipes. All of the products used can be used on any bag to spruce it up. Read on for the deets, to see how you can spruce up your handbag! Before At first glance, the bag had some sheen on the exterior. Most of the brass fixtures had green tarnishing (which happens with aging of brass). The leather handles were dull. The bag had lost some of its shape. The inside was the kicker! The red interi

Mac Face and Body Foundation Review

One of my most used foundations is the Mac Face and Body liquid foundation. I've been promising a  review on it, so here it is. Product Claims "A water-based, water-resistant foundation that provides long-lasting, natural coverage for face and/or body. Ideal for all skin types. Face and Body Foundation provides sheer, natural looking coverage in an easy to blend, water-resistant formula. The long-lasting formula is available in a wide range of colours and contains several emollients to help moisturize and condition the skin. It delivers professional looking results that meet the exacting standards of beauty photography and is ideal for perfecting the face and body." Pros -Price is $32.50 retail and about $19 if you're a Mac pro card member (That could be a con based on your finances). -For the price you pay it gives you a lot of foundation. It's in a 4 fl oz bottle. -Because it's water based it doesn't feel heavy, it feels very light on the face.

Creme of Nature Lemongrass and Rosemary Leave-In Conditioner Review

After promising myself to take better care of my hair, I read in a hair care magazine that if you have breakage or dry hair (like my hair) to consider purchasing a leave-in conditioner, since you don't have to rinse it out-the conditioner keeps on working and conditioning your hair. This was perfect for me because I'm really lazy when it comes to styling and taking care of my own hair... usually I look for products that are easy and quick to use. I do use Creme of Nature's Detangling shampoo, so I figured I would buy their leave-in conditioner. FYI- Creme of Nature is a brand that specializes in hair care products for women of color, who have natural or relaxed hair. They mostly use natural ingredients in their products, which they call "Certified Organic." Product Claims "Pamper your hair with this creme-based formula to soften, detangle, and provide the ultimate conditioning.  Perfect for color treated hair, organic  Lemongrass works to tone and hig