A good majority of my readers are makeup artists or aspiring makeup artists and part of the makeup/tools that I buy is for my makeup artistry kit, so... from time to time, I will feature a few items that I use in my professional makeup artistry kit for clients-hopefully this will give artists (both professional and aspiring) a good idea of what products work and what doesn't work.
My goal is to have enough sets of brushes so that I don't have to wash/reuse any of my brushes for large parties like wedding/bridal parties. I currently have enough for 4 full sets of brushes, so; that means that I can do makeup for 4 people without washing or reusing the same brush. The picture below shows how I create my sets.
A Few Tips
- As you can see, most of my sets include eye brushes, this is because eye makeup causes a lot of attention to detail and because I use Alcone sponges to apply concealear and foundation. I rarely use a foundation brush, I mainly use it to apply moisturizer or primer to the face.
- It's important to include lip brushes in your sets so that you don't have to apply lipstick/gloss straight from the tube. You can also buy disposable lip gloss wands to apply lipstick/gloss.
- I won't tell you which brushes to buy (only you make that decision) but it's good to have a full range of brushes from both categories: synthetic and natural fibers. Synthetic fibers are great for applying cream makeup and natural fibers work well with applying powder makeup.
- There are so many great brands that sell makeup brushes, some of my faves are: Avon, Coastal Scents, Elf, Mac, Sigma, Target Studio Tools and The Body Shop to name a few!
|$15 Brush Belt from Elf!|
- Once you have a good amount of brushes, it may be helpful to invest in a brush belt so that you can have easy access to your brushes while working. I bought mine from Elf for $15.
- You may also want to invest in other brushes that will be needed such as: a duo fibre/stippling brushes (for foundation), buffing brush for foundation, angled eye brushes for gel eyeliner and eyebrow grooming, contour brushes and eye brow/lash brush.